Integrated Watershed Development for Rehabilitation of Degraded Soils and Climate Change Adaptation project Bari
Investments in improvement, stabilization, conservation of natural resources mainly soils is made to minimize the risk of climate change and to increase the productivity and income of communities living in watersheds. The purpose of the Projects under the programme is to reduce vulnerability to climate change of small-scale farmers in selected watersheds through the stabilization, enhancement and sustainable use of soil and water resources
Adaptive capacity of the communities in watersheds is strengthened and their vulnerability to climate change is reduced.
Project Interventions under the Programme:
Following major project interventions are proposed to be financed under the programme (please see section 9 for details):
- Adaptation of existing measures and implementation of required additional physical measures for soil and water conservation, erosion and degradation control, land reclamation and land improvement on common and private land
- Promotion of measures to improve soil quality and soil health, e.g. integrated nutrient management using organic fertilizers, tank silt application, mulching, green leaf application, vermi-composting, promotion of agro-forestry and related soil protection measures;
- Promotion of sustainable farming, productivity enhancement and natural resource management practices and climate change adaptation measures, e.g., crop diversification, crop intensification, crop water budgeting, micro-drip-irrigation, nutrient enrichment, organic fertilizers and integrated pest management;
- Implementation of measures to improve nutritional security, like kitchen gardens, backyard poultries or group fisheries, especially in tribal areas;
- Promotion of livelihood options (on-farm/off-farm), using existing village-level revolving funds, partly topped-up through project funds on a grant basis;
- On-going capacity building and institution building for above mentioned activities and especially climate change risk, adaptation and mitigation measures through Project Facilitating Agencies;
- Implementation of a GIS based programme management information system;
- Systematization and documentation of local experiences and best practices, publications, trainings, policy dissemination as well as workshops, exposure visits, events for knowledge exchange.